Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Pilot Monkeys

Inspiration comes 
from many sources...


"You can teach a monkey to fly a plane
but you can't teach it to think"
A Random Stranger 



The year was 1979 and I was a clerk in a grocery store, wearing an airplane necklace gifted from my mother. A customer asked why I had an airplane on my neck. I told him, "I'm going to be an airline pilot." He stated, "You can teach a monkey to fly a plane, but you can't teach it to think."  There was not much I could say because I valued my job and there was a poster in the back room that said, "The customer is king." For twenty years pilot monkey has been my car mascot, reminding me that ignorance does not define our capabilities. 

Thirty five years later a friend was checking out as a captain on the A330. Now, he was passionate about learning and wanted to understand the airplane, so he asked many questions. That is until the instructor said, 

"If you want to make it through this program, 
stop asking questions! Be the monkey. 
Push the button. Get the banana!" 


Thus the theme of monkeys flying aircraft continues to prevail. Which has inspired my children's movie... Jungle Air.  So much to do, so little time.

How does all this apply to flying? 
Read the "Flight For" Series and you'll know. 


Enjoy the Journey!
XOX Karlene

author of:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!